When John Morton (c. 1420–1500) was made Bishop of Ely in 1478, he was almost sixty, a Lancastrian survivor of the dynastic wars who had been captured at Towton, escaped abroad with Margaret of Anjou, returned under Edward IV, and was about to be exiled a second time by Richard III. Morton spent the better part of Richard’s reign in Flanders, plotting with the future Henry VII, and only returned to England with the Tudor invasion of 1485. He was translated to Canterbury the following year, made Lord Chancellor in 1487, and named cardinal in 1493. Across all those upheavals he was also one of the great building patrons of his generation. The palace he raised at Hatfield was begun about 1480, soon after his appointment to Ely, and was substantially complete by the end of the century.
The site itself was much older than Morton. King Edgar had granted the manor to the abbots of Ely about 970, and after the diocese of Ely was created in 1109 it passed to the bishops, who maintained a house there as a convenient lodging on the Great North Road, a day’s ride from London. Royal visitors used it: King John in 1211, Edward I in 1303, Edward II in 1309, Edward III on six occasions, including Christmas 1336. By 1292 the bishop’s house was already substantial enough that he was given permission to divert a footpath in order to enlarge his courtyard. Of all this earlier fabric, nothing now survives. Morton swept away the medieval manor and built a quadrangular palace of red brick with diaper patterning in burnt headers, conceived on a scale that announced the new dynasty as decisively as it announced the bishop.
Brick was the new and self-conscious material of the late fifteenth-century episcopal palace. The technique had spread from the Low Countries earlier in the century, but it remained expensive, and a building constructed entirely of brick was a deliberate display of wealth. Morton stood in this respect alongside three contemporaries who together formed the generation now described as the builder-bishops of the south-east: William Waynflete at Winchester, who built in brick at Farnham and Esher; Thomas Rotherham at Lincoln and then York, who rebuilt much of Buckden Towers; and John Alcock, Morton’s successor at Ely, who raised a brick palace alongside Ely Cathedral and finished the bishop’s castle at Wisbech that Morton himself had begun.
Hatfield was Morton’s grandest exercise in the new manner. The mason-architect is not documented, but John Wastell, who went on to vault King’s College Chapel in Cambridge and to complete the central tower of Canterbury Cathedral, is described in earlier sources as “Morton’s mason” and may well have been involved.
Henry VIII secured Hatfield formally in 1538 by an exchange of lands with Bishop Thomas Goodrich of Ely, and the palace then became one of the principal nurseries of the royal children, with the future Mary I, Edward VI and Elizabeth I all lodged there at different points. Earlier, in July 1517, Lady Frances Brandon, the future mother of Lady Jane Grey, had been born at Hatfield while her mother, Mary Tudor, dowager queen of France and younger sister of Henry VIII, was reportedly on pilgrimage to Walsingham. Three days later she was christened with great ceremony at the adjacent parish church of St Etheldreda, with Catherine of Aragon and the young Princess Mary, the future Mary I, standing as godmothers. Elizabeth was granted Hatfield outright in 1549 and made it her principal residence in the years before her accession; the great hall in the surviving west range is traditionally identified as the room where, in November 1558, she held her first council of state, in the days after the news of her sister’s death.
The exchange with James I in 1607 ended the palace’s history as a royal residence. Robert Cecil, 1st Earl of Salisbury, dismantled three of the four wings between 1608 and 1611 and used the brick to raise the present Hatfield House on a slightly different site to the south. Only the west range and the brick gatehouse a short distance to the west, both also of about 1480, were retained. From 1628 the surviving range was used as the stables of Hatfield House, a function it kept into the twentieth century. The roof timbers of the great hall are largely original, and bear, by tradition, the marks of the seventeenth-century gunshot used to deter sparrows from nesting among them. What survives is therefore one wing of one of the most ambitious episcopal palaces of the late fifteenth century, and the closest thing modern England possesses to a built portrait of John Morton.
Hatfield Old Palace, Hatfield , HertfordshireHatfield Old Palace, Hatfield , Hertfordshire
Undentified London Workshop, Double Alabaster Tomb of Elizabeth Brocket, and her mother Agnes Saunders,1612, St Etheldreda’s Church in Hatfield, Hertfordshire
For a parish church in Hertfordshire to carry the name of a seventh century East Anglian abbess is, on the face of it, surprising. Etheldreda founded the great monastery at Ely, in the Fens of Cambridgeshire, and her cult belonged firmly to that region. The connection makes sense only once the landholding history is understood. From the late tenth century the manor of Hatfield was held by the abbey of Ely, and after 1109 by the Bishops of Ely, who took Etheldreda as their patron. When a parish church was raised here around 1240, its dedication followed the lord of the manor rather than any local tradition. The saint of distant Ely arrived with the bishops’ authority.
What survives of that thirteenth century building places St Etheldreda’s among the richer parish ensembles of the county. Its earliest fabric belongs to the first phase of English Gothic, often called Early English, a style of the years around 1180 to 1275 that favoured slim proportions, pointed arches, and restrained ornament. Tall narrow windows, known as lancets, pierce the chancel. The arches are tightly moulded in dark, polished Purbeck marble, a Dorset stone valued in this period for the costly, almost jewelled quality it gave to ecclesiastical interiors. The capitals of the transepts are cut with stiff leaf foliage, the stylised carving of curling stems and buds that became the signature ornament of the early Gothic mason. Set into the chancel floor is a grave slab showing a knight in chainmail with crossed legs, probably a local retainer of the bishop and one of the earliest surviving monuments on the site. Older guidebooks read the crossed legs as a sign of crusading service. Current scholarship treats them as a stylistic convention of the later thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries rather than a biographical statement.
The fourteenth century brought the looser line of the next phase, known as Decorated Gothic, in which masons cut stone into flowing geometries: four-lobed shapes called quatrefoils, net-like patterns described as reticulated, and foliate carving handled more freely than the stiff leaf of the earlier generation. Between roughly 1480 and 1500 the building was reshaped again, this time in the Perpendicular style, the final phase of English Gothic, which favoured vertical emphasis and flat panels of tracery. This late medieval campaign added an upper range of windows above the nave, called the clerestory, widened the arcade dividing nave from aisles, and raised a west tower with battlements and the diagonal buttresses typical of the period. The new work sits comfortably alongside the older Gothic fabric rather than overwriting it.
The Brocket Chapel, on the south side, was originally the thirteenth century Ponsbourne Aisle. It was rebuilt in the fifteenth century by the Fortescue family, lords of the manor of Ponsbourne, and later furnished with the principal Brocket monuments. The wall tablet of Sir John Brocket stands beside the double alabaster tomb of his second wife Elizabeth Brocket, born Elizabeth Moore (d. 1612), and her mother Agnes Saunders (d. 1588). The tomb belongs to a recognisable type of London workshop production of the early seventeenth century: alabaster recumbent effigies framed by an architectural canopy, with kneeling figures of relatives and painted heraldry forming part of the design.
The Salisbury Chapel, added to the north side of the chancel by 1618, breaks decisively with the Gothic vocabulary of the rest of the church. It is entered through three round headed arches resting on Tuscan columns, the simplest of the classical orders inherited from antiquity, with a plain shaft and unadorned capital. Inside, the walls are articulated with pilasters, the flat, applied form of a column, and ornamented with strapwork, the interlaced bands derived from continental pattern books that had become the signature decorative idiom of late Elizabethan and Jacobean design. Above the openings run moulded entablatures, the horizontal bands that crown classical columns, and the surfaces carry painted heraldry and bold mouldings throughout. The space is symmetrical, classical in language, and self contained: a chapel conceived as a small classical building inserted into a medieval church. Its design reflects the Palladian and Northern Mannerist patterns then reaching England through engraved books, and its date and patronage place it within the wider Cecil project at Hatfield, contemporary with the construction of Hatfield House by Robert Cecil, first Earl of Salisbury (1563–1612).
For a parish church, St Etheldreda’s stood unusually close to the events of English history. Elizabeth I received word of her accession at the nearby Old Palace of Hatfield in November 1558. In 1647 Charles I, by then a captive of Parliament held at Hatfield, was permitted to attend worship here. A nineteenth century restoration carried out in the spirit of the Gothic Revival refitted the interior while, on the whole, respecting the layered history that had accumulated on the site since the thirteenth century.
St Etheldreda’s Church in Hatfield, HertfordshireSt Etheldreda’s Church in Hatfield, HertfordshireThe Salisbury family Chapel, St Etheldreda’s Church in Hatfield, Hertfordshire
Bettley, J., Pevsner, N. and Cherry, B. (2019) Hertfordshire. The Buildings of England. New Haven and London: Yale University Press.
Blanton, V. (2007) Signs of Devotion: The Cult of St Æthelthryth in Medieval England, 695–1615. University Park, PA: Pennsylvania State University Press.
Cecil, D. (1973) The Cecils of Hatfield House: An English Ruling Family. London: Constable
Hatfield House in Hertfordshire., c.1612Hatfield House in Hertfordshire., c.1612
In 1607 King James I told his chief minister, Robert Cecil, that he wanted Theobalds, the great Cecil house in Hertfordshire on which the family had lavished a generation of building. Cecil could hardly refuse a king. The estate he received in compensation was the old royal palace at Hatfield, built around 1497 by Cardinal John Morton, Archbishop of Canterbury, and used by the Tudor monarchs as a nursery palace for their children. It was where Princess Elizabeth had spent most of her childhood and where, in November 1558, she had received the news that she was queen. Cecil seems to have decided almost at once that the old palace was no longer fit for purpose. He had three of its four wings pulled down in 1608, salvaged the brick, and used it as the raw material for a new house immediately adjacent. The result, Hatfield House, was completed in 1611, the year before Cecil’s death.
The man in charge of the work was Robert Lyminge (fl. 1607–1628), a master carpenter who would later go on to design Blickling Hall in Norfolk along very similar lines. Lyminge had supervisory rather than purely architectural authority, and a number of other figures contributed to what the house eventually became. Simon Basil, Surveyor of the King’s Works, was consulted on the technical design. Inigo Jones, then at the beginning of his career, visited Hatfield in October 1609 and is generally thought to be responsible for some of the detailing of the south front and possibly the central clock tower. Ideas current in the survey drawings of John Thorpe, the most prolific paper architect of the period, lie behind the symmetrical E-shape plan, although there is no evidence that Thorpe had any direct hand in the building. The plasterwork was the responsibility of the Royal Master Plasterer, Richard Dungan, who died in 1609 with the work barely begun, and was completed by his successor James Leigh between 1610 and 1612. Leigh’s compressed strapwork ceilings, with their grids of intersecting roundels, heraldic devices and acanthus scrolls, mark Hatfield’s particular contribution to the development of Jacobean plasterwork: more elaborate, flatter in pattern and more densely worked than Dungan’s earlier ceilings at Knole.
The Grand Staircase, with its massive oak balustrade and the running scrollwork that climbs each newel post, was the work of the carver John Bucke, whose shop also produced the carved screen in the Marble Hall. The newel posts carry small standing figures, one of which is traditionally identified as John Tradescant the Elder, Cecil’s plant collector and the designer of the formal gardens. The figure is appropriate. Tradescant was sent by Cecil to the Low Countries and France in 1611 to bring back fruit trees, vines, tulip bulbs and rarities for the new gardens, and his work at Hatfield is the foundation of the family’s later horticultural reputation.
The Marble Hall is the heart of the house. It is two storeys high, with a black-and-white chequered marble floor and the carved screen and gallery by Bucke at the east end. The ceiling is original, with Leigh’s plasterwork above and an elaborate compartmented timber framework below. In its first state the ceiling carried Jacobean reliefs of the Twelve Caesars in the panels, painted in colours and gold leaf to harmonise with the strapwork. In 1878 the 3rd Marquess of Salisbury, the future Prime Minister, replaced the Caesars with a series of allegorical and mythological scenes painted by the Italian artist Giulio Taldini, who had worked elsewhere for the family. Taldini’s panels, framed by the Jacobean mouldings, are still in place, and the warm gold and russet palette of the present hall is essentially Taldini’s design rather than Cecil’s. The Long Gallery, 170 feet long after a remodelling of 1781, was originally finished in white plaster; the gold-leaf ceiling now visible was applied in the 1830s by the 2nd Marquess, James Brownlow William Gascoyne-Cecil (1791–1868), who had been struck by a gilded ceiling on a visit to Venice and decided to bring the effect home. The same Marquess oversaw a wide programme of redecoration after a serious fire in November 1835, in which the west wing was gutted and his mother, the 1st Marchioness, lost her life.
The chapel was part of the original construction of 1607–12, but the area was severely damaged in the 1835 fire and the present interior, including the altar, reredos and pews, dates almost entirely from the rebuilding that followed. What survived intact, and what makes the chapel one of the most precious early Stuart interiors in England, is the great east window of stained glass, made in 1610 by three glass-painters of differing nationality: Richard Butler of Southwark, “Lewis Dolphin”, a French painter whose name is usually now read as Louis Dauphin, and Martin van Bentheim of Emden in East Frisia. The window shows twelve Old Testament scenes, beginning at the upper left with the visit of the Angel to Abraham and reading down through Moses in the bulrushes, Solomon and the Queen of Sheba, Jacob’s dream, Jonah and the whale, the Passover, Samson and Delilah, the sacrifice of Isaac, Naaman in the Jordan, David and Goliath, Elisha raising the Shunamite woman’s son, and Elijah ascending in the fiery chariot. The combination of an English glass-painter, a French one and a German one working together in 1610 is itself characteristic of Cecil’s outlook: he was a minister who had run Elizabeth’s intelligence service, who corresponded across confessional lines, and who liked to think of himself as a connoisseur of the best European craftsmanship of his day.
Cecil never enjoyed the house for long. Lord Treasurer since 1608 in addition to his older role as Principal Secretary, exhausted by overwork and chronic ill health, he died at Marlborough on 24 May 1612, while travelling back from Bath, only forty-eight years old. Hatfield passed to his son William, the 2nd Earl, and from that line, eventually, to the marquesses of Salisbury who hold it now. The fabric of the house has remained in continuous Cecil ownership for the four centuries since, an exceptional case in English country-house history, and the rare survival of so much of the original building, ceiling and glass is, more than anything else, a function of that unbroken tenure.
Hatfield House in Hertfordshire., c.1612Hatfield House in Hertfordshire., c.1612Hatfield House in Hertfordshire., c.1612Hatfield House in Hertfordshire., c.1612Hatfield House in HertfordshireHatfield House in Hertfordshire
References
Airs, M. (1995) The Tudor and Jacobean Country House: A Building History. Stroud: Sutton.
Cecil, D. (1973) The Cecils of Hatfield House: An English Ruling Family. Boston: Houghton Mifflin
Croft, P. (ed.) (2002) Patronage, Culture and Power: The Early Cecils 1558–1612. New Haven and London: Yale University Press
Croft, P. (2002) King James. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan
In 1462, a hatter’s apprentice turned Lord Mayor of London bought a small fortified manor in the Kent countryside. Sir Geoffrey Boleyn (c.1406–1463), who had risen from yeoman origins in Salle, Norfolk, through the Mercers’ Company to the highest civic office in the land, paid the Fiennes family for the estate at Hever, acquiring both its moieties, Hever Cobham and Hever Brocas. He died the following year, scarcely a year into ownership. There was no reason to suppose that the modest castle he left to his heirs would become, within two generations, the stage for one of the most consequential private dramas in English history.
The house Geoffrey Boleyn bought was not, however, as old as was long believed. For centuries, Hever’s origins were traced to 1270, when a licence to crenellate a manor at Hever was granted by Henry III (1207–1272) on 17 January 1271. The assumption was natural enough, and it held. But recent archival research, undertaken for the castle and drawing on close examination of the surviving fabric, has demonstrated that the 1271 licence applied to a different property entirely: Hever Brocas, located less than a mile from the present castle. The building that stands today was erected in 1383 by John de Cobham of Devonshire (d. 1399), a tax collector and Justice of the Peace in Sussex and Surrey, who received a licence to crenellate from Richard II (1367–1400). The stylistic case for the later date had already been made by architectural historians including Goodall and Pevsner, but the documentary proof came only with Thurley’s research, first presented in 2023. Hever Castle itself changed its heraldic branding in response, replacing the de Hever arms with those of de Cobham in the castle’s four-quartered crest.
The timing of the 1383 licence is telling. Just two years earlier, the Peasants’ Revolt had swept through Kent with particular fury, Wat Tyler (d. 1381) and his followers marching from Maidstone to London, burning manor houses and legal records as they went. Kent was volatile ground for a man of property, and Cobham’s decision to fortify his estate at Hever fits a wider pattern of defensive building in the county in the revolt’s aftermath. His kinsman, John de Cobham, 3rd Baron Cobham (c.1320–1408), was simultaneously fortifying Cooling Castle on the Hoo Peninsula, partly in response to French raids on the Thames estuary in 1379 and partly, one suspects, with an eye to the same domestic unrest. At Cooling, the king’s master mason Henry Yevele (c.1320–1400) took a supervisory role. Whether the same circle of craftsmen contributed to Hever is not documented, but the two projects were near-contemporaneous and family-connected, and both employed Kentish ragstone, the hard local limestone favoured for its resistance to weathering and water pressure.
What survives from 1383 at Hever is, by any measure, remarkable. The gatehouse, with its blank curtain walls, gun loops, barred wooden gates, murder holes, and three portcullises (a rare feature for a property of this size), is original to the fourteenth century. So, extraordinarily, are the timbers of the west wing, still supporting the principal family rooms where the Boleyns later lived. A 2019 survey identified this medieval timberwork as having no known parallel in Europe. That so much has endured is partly a matter of benign neglect: for long stretches of the castle’s history, its owners were elsewhere, and tenants had little incentive to modernise a property they did not own.
The castle passed through several hands before Geoffrey Boleyn’s purchase. It had belonged to Sir John Fastolf (c.1380–1459), from whom Geoffrey had already acquired Blickling in Norfolk in 1452, and then to the Fiennes family. James Fiennes, 1st Baron Saye and Sele (c.1395–1450), Lord High Treasurer of England, had owned the castle until his violent end: dragged from the Tower during Jack Cade’s rebellion in the summer of 1450, he was subjected to a sham trial at Guildhall and beheaded, his head displayed on a pike on London Bridge. Shakespeare staged the scene in Henry VI, Part 2. It was Fiennes’s son William (c.1428–1471), with little interest in a small Kentish property and greater ambitions at Broughton in Oxfordshire, who sold Hever to Geoffrey Boleyn in 1462.
Geoffrey’s grandson Thomas Boleyn (c.1477–1539), later Earl of Wiltshire, inherited the castle in 1505 from his father Sir William Boleyn (c.1451–1505) and made it a family home for his wife Lady Elizabeth Howard (c.1480–1538) and their three children: Mary (c.1499–1543), Anne (c.1501–1536), and George (c.1504–1536). The Boleyns extended the original fourteenth-century fortified manor considerably, creating a two-courtyard house divided by the great hall, with the family’s main living quarters on the first floor of the west wing and servants’ quarters separated in the east range. Thomas added domestic brick and timber ranges within the medieval walls, and the house’s proximity to good hunting woods in the Weald may have been part of its appeal. It was here, by strong tradition, that Anne Boleyn spent her childhood before departing for the court of the Archduchess Margaret in the Habsburg Netherlands in 1513. And it was here, at a family Christmas in 1526, that she appears to have made the fateful decision to accept Henry VIII’s (1491–1547) pursuit, a choice whose consequences would reshape the English church, the English monarchy, and this small castle’s place in history.
After Anne’s execution in 1536 and Thomas Boleyn’s death in 1539, Henry VIII claimed the estate and in 1540 granted it to his fourth wife, Anne of Cleves (c.1515–1557), as part of her annulment settlement. She received the honorary title ‘The King’s Sister,’ an income of £500 a year, and two palaces. It was long assumed that she spent little time at Hever. Recent research has overturned this. The Long Gallery, previously attributed to Thomas Boleyn, was in fact Anne of Cleves’s addition, built in the mid-sixteenth century by reducing the height of the great hall and inserting the gallery above. She also added the Staircase Gallery on the floor below, connecting the two wings of the house, and remodelled the ceiling in the Dining Hall. These are substantial architectural interventions, not the traces of occasional residence. A surviving letter from Anne of Cleves to Queen Mary I (1516–1558), written in 1554 and preserved in the National Archives, is signed “from my poore house of Hever,” a phrase that suggests long habitation and, perhaps, a wry awareness of the modesty of her circumstances compared to those she had briefly known.
After Anne of Cleves’s death in 1557, the estate reverted to the Crown. Sir Edward Waldegrave (c.1517–1561), a member of Mary I’s Privy Council and a commissioner for the sale of Crown land, promptly assigned himself the castle and its estate. The Waldegraves were recusant Catholics, and their tenure at Hever opens onto one of the building’s quieter but more poignant chapters. Under Elizabeth I (1533–1603), the celebration of Mass became illegal under the Act of Uniformity of 1559, and those who harboured priests risked the traitor’s death of hanging, drawing, and quartering. In the Morning Room at Hever, the Waldegraves installed a priest hole, concealed in what is now a gilded china cupboard, where a priest could hide during a search. A small oratory, hidden behind panelling in the Waldegrave bedroom, survives from the same period. Sir Edward himself was arrested in 1561 after customs officials at Gravesend seized his household priest, Father John Coxe, carrying a rosary and letters for Catholic exiles. Waldegrave was imprisoned in the Tower of London and died in his cell on 1 September 1561, having refused to pay the fine imposed upon him. His wife Frances, likewise refusing, forfeited the family’s manor of Newhall in Essex. Could there be a sharper irony? The castle that had belonged to the family whose daughter split England from Rome now sheltered a family persecuted for remaining loyal to it.
The Waldegraves held Hever for 158 years but they rarely lived there, choosing instead to let it to tenants. This prolonged absence was, paradoxically, the castle’s salvation: with no owner willing to invest in modernisation, the medieval and Tudor fabric survived largely intact. By the time the estate passed through the Humphreys and Meade Waldo families in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, however, the building had deteriorated badly. It might well have become an uninhabited ruin had it not been purchased in 1903 by William Waldorf Astor (1848–1919), then reputed to be the richest man in America. Between 1904 and 1908, Astor undertook a comprehensive restoration under the architect F.L. Pearson (1864–1947), insisting that his workmen use, as far as possible, the same materials and techniques as their Tudor and Elizabethan predecessors. The structural works included concrete underpinning and perimeter drainage to stabilise the castle on its alluvial ground beside the River Eden. He also built the Tudor-style ‘village’ (now the Astor Wing) across the moat to accommodate guests and staff, commissioned the Italian Garden to display his collection of classical statuary, and directed the excavation of a 38-acre lake from the surrounding marshland and meadows, a project that employed over a thousand labourers, eight hundred of them dedicated to the digging alone.
What strikes a visitor to Hever today is how much of the building’s history is legible in its fabric, if one knows where to look: fourteenth-century timbers still bearing the weight of the west wing; the grooves of a medieval portcullis in the gatehouse; a priest hole disguised as a cupboard; a Long Gallery built by a cast-off queen who signed her letters with self-deprecating grace. The castle has survived through the accumulated accident of owners who were too poor, too absent, or too careful to alter what they had inherited.
Thurley, S. (2023) Research findings presented at Hever Castle, 12 January 2023. Reported in: ‘Hever Castle Rediscovered: New Research Reveals Information about the Previous Owners and History of the Childhood Home of Anne Boleyn’, Kent Attractions, 13 November 2023. Available at: https://kentattractions.co.uk/hever-castle-rediscovered/ (Accessed: 10 April 2025).
The stone bridge at Eltham Palace, near Greenwich, is London’s oldest surviving intact bridge. Originally built of wood, it was replaced with a stone structure around 1390 during the reign of King Richard II. Geoffrey Chaucer, who was Clerk of the Works then, oversaw its construction. The bridge is a rare surviving example of medieval infrastructure in London.
Eltham Palace was a royal residence from the 14th to the 16th century. It was gifted to Edward II in 1305 by Anthony Bek, the Bishop of Durham, and served as a favoured retreat for several monarchs. Edward III is thought to have founded the Order of the Garter here. Manuel II Palaiologos, the Byzantine emperor, stayed at Eltham in 1400-1401 while Henry IV entertained him with a joust. Edward IV rebuilt large parts of the palace, including the Great Hall, between 1475 and 1483. Henry VIII, who spent part of his childhood at Eltham, met the scholar Erasmus here.
After the construction of Greenwich Palace, which was easier to access by river, the royal family less frequently used Eltham. In the 1630s, Antoon van Dyck was granted use of part of the palace as a country retreat. By this time, the palace had fallen into disrepair, and after the Civil War, it was further neglected.
In the 1930s, Sir Stephen and Lady Courtauld restored Eltham Palace, incorporating the remaining medieval structures, including the Great Hall, into an Art Deco residence.
The stone bridge at Eltham Palace, London.The stone bridge at Eltham Palace, London.Eltham Palace, London.Eltham Palace, London.Eltham Palace, London.Eltham Palace, London.
Pitzhanger Manor, rebuilt between 1800 and 1804 on the site of a 17th-century house, is one of the finest expressions of Sir John Soane’s (1753–1837) mature neoclassical style. Drawing on his deep knowledge of Ancient Greek, Roman, and Italian Renaissance architecture, as well as the observations he made during his Grand Tour, Soane reinterpreted classical forms through a distinctive lens, using Ionic columns, caryatids, and canopy ceilings. His manipulation of space and light, coupled with subtle variations in proportion and intricate detailing, creates a design that is both rooted in antiquity and unmistakably his own.
A surviving part of the earlier mansion is the 18th-century wing designed in 1768 by George Dance the Younger (1741–1828), Soane’s early mentor. It contains the Upper Drawing Room and the Eating Room, both notable for their delicate cross-vaulted ceilings with geometric coffering and foliate motifs. Their original vivid colour schemes and refined ornamentation, often likened to Wedgwood jasperware, reflect the height of late-18th-century taste. Although Soane demolished much of the original house, he preserved Dance’s wing as a tribute to his teacher, integrating it into his new scheme. The result unites Dance’s elegance with Soane’s innovation, crystallising the architectural dialogue that shaped the ‘Soane style’ of the early 19th century.
Waddesdon Manor, commissioned by Baron Ferdinand de Rothschild (1839–1898), is one of the most distinguished examples of French Neo-Renaissance architecture in England. Built between 1874 and 1882 in Buckinghamshire, it was designed by the French architect Hippolyte Destailleur (1822–1893), whose reputation for recreating the style of 16th- to 18th-century French châteaux made him a favourite among Europe’s aristocracy. Destailleur had already worked on prominent residences such as the Hôtel de Pourtalès in Paris, Pless Castle, and the Palais Rothschild in Vienna. Ferdinand, drawing inspiration from the châteaux of the Loire Valley and Touraine, commissioned a country retreat intended for lavish weekend gatherings between May and August, providing an opulent setting in which to entertain the elite of European society.
The architecture consciously drew from celebrated French precedents. The twin towers echoed those of the Château de Maintenon (initially begun in the mid-16th century under Jean Cottereau, enlarged in the later 17th century when Louis XIV commissioned Jules Hardouin-Mansart to adapt it for Madame de Maintenon). The elaborate chimneys were adapted from the Château de Chambord (1519–1547, built for François I, attributed to Domenico da Cortona with input from Leonardo da Vinci, its roofscape famed for its profusion of towers, lanterns, and chimneys). The dormer windows followed the models at the Château d’Amboise (15th–16th centuries, extensively rebuilt under Charles VIII and Louis XII, with later contributions by François I, employing architects such as Raymond de Dezest and Pacello da Mercogliano). The grand external double staircase recalled that of the Château de Blois (constructed in successive campaigns from the 13th to the 17th century: Louis XII’s wing c.1498–1503 by Colin Biart, the François I wing with its celebrated spiral staircase begun 1515 under architects including Domenico da Cortona and Pierre Nepveu, and later additions under Gaston d’Orléans in the 1630s by François Mansart). Collectively, these borrowings recreated within the English countryside the grandeur of the French Renaissance court, transposing architectural motifs once conceived as symbols of royal prestige into the private domain of Rothschild cosmopolitanism. Though the scale of Destailleur’s original scheme was reduced, the completed manor still contained more than seventy rooms, blending decorative exuberance with a carefully studied historical vocabulary.
Ferdinand furnished the interiors to reflect both the splendour of the Ancien Régime and the refined taste of the Rothschilds as collectors. Much of the 18th-century French furniture had once belonged to members of the French royal family, ensuring that the lineage of courtly grandeur was not only evoked architecturally but also embedded materially within the house. Savonnerie carpets, Beauvais tapestries, and Sèvres porcelain, originally commissioned for royal residences, were recontextualised to elevate a modern country estate. Alongside them stood South German silver and gold objets d’art, expanding the visual language of magnificence into a pan-European idiom. The paintings, predominantly 18th-century French and English works, were assembled gradually and with connoisseurship, though Ferdinand also acquired a complete collection of Dutch Old Masters at a Sotheby’s sale for decorative effect rather than scholarly intent, a gesture that underscored the Rothschild commitment to visual spectacle.
Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire.Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire.Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire.Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire.Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire.Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire.Waddesdon Manor in Buckinghamshire.
Knole House in Kent, a historic estate dating back to the 15th century, features one of Britain’s earliest surviving portrait galleries, the Brown Gallery, established around 1608 by Thomas Sackville, 1st Earl of Dorset (1536–1608). The gallery showcases over 40 portraits from the 16th and 17th centuries, depicting English royalty, nobility, and important European figures. These portraits, mostly painted from earlier copies rather than life, reflect the widespread practice of replicating established patterns to meet the demand for images of notable figures.
Creating such portrait galleries in England became fashionable during the Tudor and Stuart periods, reflecting a desire to display loyalty, lineage, and learning. By the late 16th century, demand for portraits of notable figures, including members of Henry VIII’s court, led to widespread duplication, often by different workshops. Some copies, dating back to the same period as the originals, were nearly indistinguishable. The mass production of such portraits usually challenges historians to distinguish originals from contemporary copies.
Knole House in KentLong gallery ,Knole House in Kent
Paul Isaacson (1565-1655), The wall oil on plaster paintings at Knole Castle, dating from around 1603
The wall oil on plaster paintings at Knole Castle, dating from around 1603, are rare and significant examples of Renaissance decoration. They are one of only two complete surviving schemes from that period in England. Painted by Paul Isaacson (1565-1655), they feature a trompe l’oeil balustrade on the outer walls. These remarkable works adorn the great staircase, constructed between 1605 and 1608, one of the first in England to be designed as a grand room in its own right.
Paul Isaacson (1565-1655), The wall oil on plaster paintings at Knole Castle, dating from around 1603
The site, originally established by Bishop Justus in AD 604, is home to the present Rochester Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral Church of Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary. Construction of the current structure began in the 1080s under Gundulf of Rochester (1024-1108) and saw significant reconstruction in the 19th century by John Loughborough Pearson (1817-1897).
This cathedral is renowned for its splendid Norman architecture, with notable examples of the nave and parts of the crypt. It also boasts one of the finest Romanesque facades in the country, alongside impressive Gothic features from much later periods.
Among its treasures is the Textus Roffensis, written in the early 1120s in Rochester. This unique manuscript is the sole existing copy of the first English law code. It is considered one of the most pivotal documents in English history, influencing the Magna Carta of 1215.